+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Currently Offline Beta *
    Coins

[Guide] How to use external SD card as internal memory

Hello, There's an easier and preferred method to do the same thing on Uhost2. In Setting -> Storage menu, you will see option for swap internal & external memory. I recommend all of you guys use that option instead (i'll use it too if see it in the first place -_-'). Unless you need something more than swapping memory -: study for apply below method to other devices, practicing or bricking your Uhost2

thanks PolloLoco for pointing this out

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello, i just got Probox2 aka Uhost2 a few days ago and i'm the one who is suffering from very low internal memory space of UHost2. i can't install games that need large memory space (about 1 GB up) together, such as Gameloft's Asphalts 7, Dungeon Hunter or Let's Golf 3 (which refuse to run for now).

I've search the internet and found solution that many of you may already know, change mount point in /etc/vold.fstab . i've tried and seems to make it work so i'd like to share it with you guys

As normal, Doing this at your own risk. If you have apps that moved to SDcard or apps that have data in sdcard, you may need to move those data to external SD card or reinstall those apps to make them work.

What you need.
    1. Uhost2, other similar android mini PC device should work too.
    2. Micro SD card up to 32GB (according to the device spec.)
    3. A root explorer app or skill to mount/change file system permission.

Procedure
    1. Format/convert your SD card to NTFS file system. fat or exfat file system has problem that cause file corruption when write large or many files into it when using with rk30xx device (detailed thread at the bottom).

2. Use root explorer browse to folder /etc and mount it R/W (default is R/O)

3. Make a copy of file vold.fstab just in case.

4. Edit vold.fstab, change 2 lines from

dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
    to

dev_mount flash /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
    5. Save file, shut down device, insert sdcard, turn on device.

6. Check storage property in settings -> storage. You should see NAND FLASH has size of your external sd card. and SD CARD with size of internal memory.

shot_000013-res.jpg

7. Try install games that need large data.

That's all And about using NTFS file system. Pls. read this thread

RockChip RK30 Common Bug - External SDcard Corruption!

I've encountered that bug before i see above thread. It made me depressed for a few days

Hope this info may help you guys some way
    Last edited by hellvy; 06-12-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: add info about easier & prefered method

2. Rikomagic 728
    Currently Offline 2.0/2.1 Eclair ***
    Coins
    Unless I'm blind, in that other thread I see no reference to exfat. Does exfat really lead to corruption as well?

Currently Offline Beta *
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
    Unless I'm blind, in that other thread I see no reference to exfat. Does exfat really lead to corruption as well?
    For exFAT, i've tried it myself before i found that thread and it has the same problem

Currently Offline Beta **
    Coins
    thanks
    i will try and feed u back

Coins
    can u provide us with the modded file ?

Currently Offline Beta *
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by elshagie View Post
    can u provide us with the modded file ?
    Here it is, just rename vold.fstab.mod to vold.fstab and put it in /etc dir.
    Attached Files

Coins
    thanks works like a charm

Currently Offline Beta

Smile thanks

thanks just tried it on my N70-S tablet... it took sometime and brain stormiing to get what you explained cos am not an experienced programmer or user. it worked....

Currently Offline Beta

another problem

one problem i have is i dont kmow how to get this tablet to actually be able to read my huawei E156G modem... i dont have access to wireless in my current location except i use this modem... unfortunately have not been able to browse since i bought the tablet. would appreciate if i can be guarded on this. thanks

Currently Offline Beta *
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by idreezz View Post
    one problem i have is i dont kmow how to get this tablet to actually be able to read my huawei E156G modem...
    I think you should consider using portable wifi hot spot