06-23-2012 07:20 AM #1
Installing Ubuntu on SmartQ T20 - instructions by Mark
I'm typing this from Ubuntu on my T20, here are some instructions and observations:
- Unrar the file on a PC, not your tablet, then transfer the files to your external SD.
- Boot into recovery. This will wipe your Android personal files and reflash v3 and the Ubuntu boot instructions.
- Boot into android and move the ubuntu.img and uImage files over to the root of the 'internal' SD.
- Shut down, then hold down both volume keys and then the power key - a few seconds after the boot logo appears you can let go and it'll boot into Ubuntu.
You've done it! Unfortunately, it's all in Chinese.
EDIT: a user on another forum has also changed the language using less steps so try this first:
Go to the user profiles menu by clicking on "linaro" in the top right, then choosing the bottom option
Click the padlock and unlock it by entering the password linaro
Then edit the linaro profile by changing the third option to English
Let me know if this works.
I have fixed this but I tried a lot of things and I'm not sure what worked. I'll try to list the things I did though.
You'll need a USB keyboard and the OTG cable now, and preferably a mouse too.
Now, click the command prompt type icon on the left, to open a Terminal window.
sudo apt-get install language-pack-en-base
and then press Enter. It'll ask you for the password (it's linaro).This should install the English translations.
you'll get the gedit text editor. Go to the Disk Storage, then /etc/, then /default/, then edit the locale file as per the instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Locale
Click on the settings icon on the left dock. Click the UN flag for the region settings. Drag and drop English to the top of the list if it's there. If not try turning off and on again
Next you need to make a new user. You click on the name icon (linaro) at the top right, then the bottom option to edit users. click the unlock icon, put in the password linaro, and then click the small + icon on the bottom left of the window to create a new user. Under the name, the first variable is user type - change it to the second option (Administrator in chinese), then the second variable is Language, change it to the second option, the one it wasn't before. Sorry if this is vague, I got to this point with a lot of luck.
Log out and log in as the new user, you may not get the on screen keyboard which is where your usb keyboard comes in.
Let me know if this works for anyone.
The Wifi seems to turn on and off but not if you disable the p2p0 connection and just connect the wireless type.
Now to get sound and software tested!
Source: via tabletsdroidSamples Clearance Sale - Tablets and TV sticks
*** Next Uhost2 Group Deal for 49USD ***
* Best 3D Games * Best dual-core CPU * Best Android Apps
* Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
* Contact me on IRC * Donate Bitcoin - 1NBYdyoeq45QN5RtVX6E95gKFXUrU1LTbU
> Tablets on hand: Ramos W30 | Ainol Novo 10 Hero II | SmartQ U7H