07-15-2012 01:36 PM #1Android 1.0 ***
- Join Date
- Feb 2012
[How-to] upgrade SmartQ S7 to Android 4.0.4 V2.0 firmware
I recently upgraded my SmartQ S7 to the new Android 4.0.4 V2.0 firmware. The new firmware improves the Smart Storage functionality and reduces power consumption when the shallow dormancy. There are also some bug fixes.
Before you upgrade you need to know that upgrading will completely wipe the internal storage (but the SD/TF external card will remain untouched). There you need to back everything up before you start. I used Titanium Backup ★ root but you can also use other tools like AppMonster
- Download the new firmware - the links are here
- Extract all contents of the .zip file and locate the file called "SmartQS7" file.
- Copy that file to the root directory of SD/TF card (either by using a USB cable or unmounting the card and using a card reader).
- Make sure the battery is fully charged or plug the tablet into the charger.
- Turn off you tablet
- Hold down the "volume minus" key, and then long press the power button until the screen displays the upgrading graphic.
- Wait some more
- When the device reboots the new firmware will be installed.
Note, when the device reboots everything will be in Chinese, so make sure you know before hand how to navigate through the setup using the icons only as a guide to change the language.
Since the internal memory has been wiped you will need to re-install Titanium Backup ★ root and restore all your apps and data.
Last edited by andropos; 07-15-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: title edit
The Following User Says Thank You to garysims For This Useful Post:
07-16-2012 07:27 AM #2Beta
- Join Date
- Jun 2012
Thank you for this. The memory problem was driving me mad. I was going to sell my S7.