+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ainol Novo 7 Basic Android 4.0

Drumkruk is offline Beta

Thumbs up Ainol Novo 7 Basic Android 4.0

As I was looking for an answer to my question if there was going to be an official upgrade for the Ainol Novo 7 Basic with Android 2.2 of Android 3.2 running, I contacted Ingenic, the producer of the Xburst CPU. I got an email back within 6 hours!

The answer:
    Yes, you can upgrade to Android 4.0 from Android 2.2. Maybe there will not be an official update but you can contact us two weeks later.

This is a very satisfying answer and I will keep you guys updated! Nevertheless, when someone finds a 4.0 version to try, please post it here.

2. Rikomagic 728
    andropos is offline Founder
    Coins
    Ainol have already announced a 4.0 Basic version and it should be available very soon. Let see who will be the first to post the link.
    Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

shivansps is offline 1.5 Cupcake ***
    Coins
    Then someone will need to ask them for what they are making those chips for if nothing good can be installed from market -.-

lordsbm is offline 1.5 Cupcake ***
    lol the chips you have to ask MIPS and Ingenic, Ainol only plays the part of making the tablets. It should improve overtime.

At least the China tablet makers see ICS 4.0 as an opportunity to push their tablets to the world, so are somewhat motivated. If Novo7B/Ainovo is developed and sold by bigger boys, the firmware updates & developments might even be slower^^;

KillerKink is offline Beta Team Member ***
    With the launch of ICS, there will also be flood of fake ICS from the China Market. Android "5.0" was already in the market way before ICS.

It so simple to fake the version number and theme it to look alike. Normal users will probably be fool into buying it.

Lets see how far MIPS-based Android Tablet will go as it seem that not all application on the market will work out of the box.

Ainol novo7 based tablet will probably pick up stream given its price/spec factor.

This will be the next tablet that I will probably switched to.
    Last edited by KillerKink; 12-09-2011 at 02:49 AM.

Maybe you aren't aware, the 3 of the porpular chipset makers that China tablets use are working on ICS 4.0. There's really no need to fake unlike the HC which required company to pay. Allwinner and Rockchip had release betas of ICS 4.0 to various China tablet makers, Amlogic I heard is still working behind close doors.

This is proven with Ainol releasing ICS public trials to Novo7A users and N90/U9GT2 beta users loading videos of RK2918 tablets running ICS 4.0.

As far as I know fake ICS can be easily spotted in the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerKink View Post
    With the launch of ICS, there will also be flood of fake ICS from the China Market. Android "5.0" was already in the market way before ICS.

It so simple to fake the version number and theme it to look alike. Normal users will probably be fool into buying it.

Lets see how far MIPS-based Android Tablet will go as it seem that not all application on the market will work out of the box.

Ainol novo7 based tablet will probably pick up stream given its price/spec factor.

This will be the next tablet that I will probably switched to.

KillerKink is offline Beta Team Member ***
    Quote Originally Posted by lordsbm View Post
    Maybe you aren't aware, the 3 of the porpular chipset makers that China tablets use are working on ICS 4.0. There's really no need to fake unlike the HC which required company to pay. Allwinner and Rockchip had release betas of ICS 4.0 to various China tablet makers, Amlogic I heard is still working behind close doors.

This is proven with Ainol releasing ICS public trials to Novo7A users and N90/U9GT2 beta users loading videos of RK2918 tablets running ICS 4.0.

As far as I know fake ICS can be easily spotted in the settings.
    Yeah, there is indeed an alpha version of the ICS for Novo 7A. Until there is a functional version available, you cant really say when it will be available. But its cool that manufacturer are working on it and we know eventually user will get it.

If you google around or visit XDA, there are also very many cases that can be ported over ICS but without hardware acceleration and many bugs. Linaro was able get it up and running only after a few days after the ICS source is available.

Sure you can spot the fake but how about the normal user?

The 1st version ICS for Novo7A is likely to be around 14 days ago, then the 2nd should be 8 days ago, and the 3rd on 7th. This is based on Ainol beta user vid and photos. The earliest for A10 tablets was actually from Teclast P76ti retailers and RK2918 appeared a day or 2 before Teclast.

Of cos I'm not talking about just plainly porting over the open source. I'm talking about at least getting the basic hardware to work. Unlike end users who uses their free time, you have to be impressed how these China tablets makers are making effort to get ICS working on their tablet.

ICS was relased on 14th Nov, and we already have a trial version which is functional and relatively safe for public end users to use them. Unlike an individual or group release custom firmware, they really have nothing much to loose if the firmware is crappy. But for a company willing to release it, it means they are putting their company reputation on the line. It will affect their image and sales.

Especially so for Ainol, as MIPS Ainovo aka Novo7B project is bigger than their Novo7A. It'll aid Ainol to gain gobal standing.

As for Novo7B the ICS came later, from the pics and vids from the beta testers, I say they only gave it to the testers recently like a week ago. I believe it's due to MIPS control for the worldwide launch.

Edit: Some people were skeptical about China tablets releasing videos of tablets running ICS 4.0 2-3 weeks ago. The videos I posted on youtube (less than a week ago) from various brands beta users, there were some who said it's fake and just a UI. Menaing end users can't even spot what's real lol

But Ainol proven them wrong real quick. People may think China tablet not having HC would be able to pull off ICS 4.0 so fast. What's worst Rockchip made a HC UI lol

However many failed to see it's due to the need to pay for HC that China tablet makers didn't want to adopt HC. There are many capable programmers in China too, who buried themselves in China forums as they can't communicate well in English^^; And since ICS is made open source, it's going to be exciting to see what they can do.
    Last edited by lordsbm; 12-09-2011 at 06:09 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lordsbm For This Useful Post:

andropos (12-17-2011), Drumkruk (12-12-2011)

balpeter is offline Beta
    When will ainol release the ICS firmware for Novo 7 Basic?

andropos is offline Founder
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by balpeter View Post
    When will ainol release the ICS firmware for Novo 7 Basic?
    Very soon, hopefully next week.

I also think Ainol is investing lots on MIPS so it may be a new winner platform. Backed by MIPS and positive comments from Google sounds more promising then Boxchip / Allwinner.

But on other hand, ppl tend to care more about benchmark score. Let just hope Basic will have better app support from 4.0.
    Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast