+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Uhost2 hands-on review FINALLY

Currently Offline Founder
    Coins

Uhost2 hands-on review FINALLY

inline image
    I finally received the Uhost2 sample and will share my experience with it here.

Many including me, have been waiting long time for the Uhost2 to get released. Other dual-core RK3066 TV sticks have been out for over 2 months now, but non of them felt like a complete product and still have lots of issues. Im extra exited to see if Smallart could do a better job and bring us another great device like the Uhost1.

The first thing i noticed was the bigger size of the device, which i am not so happy about.
    I really like the size of Uhost1 which is compact enough to fit in your pocket when bringing it over to your friends place.

The extra size is said to eliminate overheating but also offers one extra full USB port, this is very welcome as i often need two USB ports and the USB hub is no longer needed. The extra size may not be a big issue if you plan to stick it behind your TV but i hope that this kind of device wont get bigger then this.

All in ports are located on one end, two full USB ports, microSD slot, microUSD DC port and a reset button.
    On the other end it has a female full HDMI port, which is for me both plus and minus. Plus, cos you can use your existing HDMI cables, minus, cos you now have to use a cable to connect it. With male HDMI, like on the Uhost1, its possible to connect the device directly to TV without the extender.

Uhost2 came preloaded with Android 4.0.4 and 4.1 is in the works so i wont spend too much time benchmarking this version as 4.1 will be released very soon. The device is not rooted so i used SuperOneClick to get root access.

I was told by Smallart that they are still working on 4.1 to better optimise it for TV dongle, as all the previous RK3066 devices are running a tablet firmware and that may cause some issues when using it on a TV.

The good
    • Real 1.4Hhz (will be upgraded to 1.5Ghz) clock speed, previous RK3066 devices are clocked at 1.2Ghz.
    • Dual-core CPU offers more smooth UI and browsing experience
    • Umouse remote comes with built-in mic and speaker
    • Built-in Bluetooth, for wireless accessories
    • 2 x full USB ports, finally no need to a USB hub
    • New RK3066 PCB solution and cooling system eliminates overheating
    • Made by Smallart, made the best A10 stick Uhost1
    • Software Shutdown / Reboot button
    • Device can be powered vie Umouse remote

The bad
    • Bigger size, takes more space including the needed HDMI cable
    • Still on 4.0.4 4.1 firmware now released
    • Wifi still not stable Fixed with latest firmware
    • No built-in mic on device
    • No support for exFAT (like other rk3066 sticks) Latest firmware now supports exFAT

Uhost2 and Umouse2 is designed and manufactured by:

Smallart Limited
    ????????????????????????
    http://www.smallart-odm.com/

Supported USB to RJ45 Ethernet adapters
    • Chipset
    • AX88178
    • AX88772
    • RTL8150
    • QF9701
    • AX88172A
    • AX88772
    • AX88772A
    • AX88772
    • AX88772A
    • AX88772B
    • AX88772BLF
    • AX88760
    • QF9700

Full Uhost2 specs:

Last edited by andropos; 01-15-2014 at 05:56 PM.

2. Rikomagic 728
    Coins

Screens of the UI using Apex launcher.

Last edited by andropos; 11-12-2012 at 09:35 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andropos For This Useful Post:

dfranz (12-23-2012), oren (11-18-2012), Rodok (11-10-2012), seahorse (11-17-2012)

Currently Offline Beta **
    Coins
    Hi,

Very interesting. I have two questions:

1. One thing I like most in Uhost1 is I can set a "Hide Statusbar" in the Settings. This setting exists in this uHost2?

2. Could you try iMediashare lite and Vimeo official app? I would like to see whether these apps display tablet-optimized UI or not. Just run it and show me the first screen. (In uHost1, it displays these two apps in tablet-optimized UI, but on MK808 (Rockchip 3066) it displays as enlarged mobile app. I doubt it is due to Rockchip nature, or just internal ROM setup).

Thanks in advanced.

Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by europa View Post
    Hi,

Very interesting. I have two questions:

1. One thing I like most in Uhost1 is I can set a "Hide Statusbar" in the Settings. This setting exists in this uHost2?

2. Could you try iMediashare lite and Vimeo official app? I would like to see whether these apps display tablet-optimized UI or not. Just run it and show me the first screen. (In uHost1, it displays these two apps in tablet-optimized UI, but on MK808 (Rockchip 3066) it displays as enlarged mobile app. I doubt it is due to Rockchip nature, or just internal ROM setup).

Thanks in advanced.
    1. Yes, this setting is there. Remember the Uhost2 is now on 4.0.4, and 4.1 will be released very soon.
    Im uploading some screens of the UI and settings options, there is lots of goodies there.

2. I will test these now, can you show me how they look on Uhost1?
    Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

Currently Offline Beta **
    Very nice pictures thanks.

Does the remote from the Uhost1 work with the Uhost2?

Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Diver View Post
    Very nice pictures thanks.
    Does the remote from the Uhost1 work with the Uhost2?
    Only if you have the remote with USB dongle.
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

Currently Offline Beta *
    andropos you mention the Umouse ( the good paragraph) but not in photos, you have it?

In the bad paragraph you say "Wifi still not stable" what you mean? Internet have cuts?

Regards
    Last edited by pepe; 11-09-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by pepe View Post
    andropos you mention the Umouse ( the good paragraph) but not in photos, you have it?
    In the bad paragraph you say "Wifi still not stable" what you mean? Internet have cuts?
    Regards
    The Umouse is not ready, i only received the Uhost2, it should be ready next week.

With wifi i mean it just feels not stable similar to the other RK3066 sticks i tested, like the wifi signal icon will sometimes show one bar sometimes full, i didnt have the wifi dropping the connection but it just feel not stable, i really think the wifi issues are related to the RK3066 solution.

Currently Offline Android 1.0 ***
    Would be interested to know if you can stream a fullhd video in YouTube and from Nas and in the same time have the audio on a bluetooth speaker.
    Bluetooth and wifi are not always so happy together and I'm wondering how it works.

Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodok View Post
    Would be interested to know if you can stream a fullhd video in YouTube and from Nas and in the same time have the audio on a bluetooth speaker.
    Bluetooth and wifi are not always so happy together and I'm wondering how it works.
    Youtube is blocked in China so i cant test this here, i do not own a bluetooth speaker so i cant test this either.
    I have a NAS, just explain how exactly you wish me to test from NAS?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast