11-09-2012 06:00 AM #1
Uhost2 hands-on review FINALLYI finally received the Uhost2 sample and will share my experience with it here.
Many including me, have been waiting long time for the Uhost2 to get released. Other dual-core RK3066 TV sticks have been out for over 2 months now, but non of them felt like a complete product and still have lots of issues. Im extra exited to see if Smallart could do a better job and bring us another great device like the Uhost1.
The first thing i noticed was the bigger size of the device, which i am not so happy about.
I really like the size of Uhost1 which is compact enough to fit in your pocket when bringing it over to your friends place.
The extra size is said to eliminate overheating but also offers one extra full USB port, this is very welcome as i often need two USB ports and the USB hub is no longer needed. The extra size may not be a big issue if you plan to stick it behind your TV but i hope that this kind of device wont get bigger then this.
All in ports are located on one end, two full USB ports, microSD slot, microUSD DC port and a reset button.
On the other end it has a female full HDMI port, which is for me both plus and minus. Plus, cos you can use your existing HDMI cables, minus, cos you now have to use a cable to connect it. With male HDMI, like on the Uhost1, its possible to connect the device directly to TV without the extender.
Uhost2 came preloaded with Android 4.0.4 and 4.1 is in the works so i wont spend too much time benchmarking this version as 4.1 will be released very soon. The device is not rooted so i used SuperOneClick to get root access.
I was told by Smallart that they are still working on 4.1 to better optimise it for TV dongle, as all the previous RK3066 devices are running a tablet firmware and that may cause some issues when using it on a TV.
- Real 1.4Hhz (will be upgraded to 1.5Ghz) clock speed, previous RK3066 devices are clocked at 1.2Ghz.
- Dual-core CPU offers more smooth UI and browsing experience
- Umouse remote comes with built-in mic and speaker
- Built-in Bluetooth, for wireless accessories
- 2 x full USB ports, finally no need to a USB hub
- New RK3066 PCB solution and cooling system eliminates overheating
- Made by Smallart, made the best A10 stick Uhost1
- Software Shutdown / Reboot button
- Device can be powered vie Umouse remote
- Bigger size, takes more space including the needed HDMI cable
Still on 18.104.22.168 firmware now released Wifi still not stableFixed with latest firmware
- No built-in mic on device
No support for exFAT (like other rk3066 sticks)Latest firmware now supports exFAT
Uhost2 and Umouse2 is designed and manufactured by:
Contact: Louis Wang
Full Uhost2 specs:
Last edited by andropos; 02-22-2013 at 09:42 AM.
11-09-2012 06:09 AM #2
Screens of the UI using Apex launcher.
Last edited by andropos; 11-12-2012 at 10:35 AM.
11-09-2012 07:32 AM #3Beta **
- Join Date
- Oct 2012
Very interesting. I have two questions:
1. One thing I like most in Uhost1 is I can set a "Hide Statusbar" in the Settings. This setting exists in this uHost2?
2. Could you try iMediashare lite and Vimeo official app? I would like to see whether these apps display tablet-optimized UI or not. Just run it and show me the first screen. (In uHost1, it displays these two apps in tablet-optimized UI, but on MK808 (Rockchip 3066) it displays as enlarged mobile app. I doubt it is due to Rockchip nature, or just internal ROM setup).
Thanks in advanced.
11-09-2012 11:33 AM #4
11-09-2012 02:00 PM #5
Very nice pictures thanks.
Does the remote from the Uhost1 work with the Uhost2?
11-09-2012 02:24 PM #6
11-09-2012 07:09 PM #7Beta *
- Join Date
- Oct 2012
andropos you mention the Umouse ( the good paragraph) but not in photos, you have it?
In the bad paragraph you say "Wifi still not stable" what you mean? Internet have cuts?
Last edited by pepe; 11-09-2012 at 07:25 PM.
11-10-2012 04:18 AM #8
With wifi i mean it just feels not stable similar to the other RK3066 sticks i tested, like the wifi signal icon will sometimes show one bar sometimes full, i didnt have the wifi dropping the connection but it just feel not stable, i really think the wifi issues are related to the RK3066 solution.
11-10-2012 05:48 AM #9Android 1.0 ***
- Join Date
- Nov 2012
Would be interested to know if you can stream a fullhd video in YouTube and from Nas and in the same time have the audio on a bluetooth speaker.
Bluetooth and wifi are not always so happy together and I'm wondering how it works.
11-10-2012 05:58 AM #10