+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Currently Offline 2.0/2.1 Eclair ***
    Coins

Question Cannot root Pipo M9, tried EVERYTHING, hoping I missed something (port 5037 issues)

Experts needed here on trying to get my M9 rooted. What I've done is paste all of my posts on this here in this one dedicated post. I am far beyond frustrated and have wasted several days and lost many hours of sleep over this.

I even came across a blog that was specifically for rooting the M9 and it doesn't work:
    How to root Rockchip RK3188 quad core device, like Cube U30GT 2, Pipo M9? - Geek Gadgets :

This simply does NOT work. First off, those are not drivers at your first link, that is the firmware upgrade tool! And you don’t even say just HOW you’re supposed to install them!

The M9 has no trouble being seen on my XP PC. But it shows in the Device Manager as “Android Phone”.

Running the batch file results in this:

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    ** daemon still not runningerror: cannot connect to daemon
    ADB server didn’t ACK
    * failed to start daemon *
    error: cannot connect to daemon
    ADB server didn’t ACK
    — Reboot 1/3 – Press Space Bar once the device has rebooted
    Press any key to continue . . .

Even when I FORCE to try to install any of the .inf files in the “Rockchip_Batch_Tool_v1.6″ folder OR sub-folders, I get: “The specified location DOES NOT CONTAIN information about your hardware”. !!!!!!!!! WTF?? So I wish you, or ANYONE, would explain to me how in the hell you’re supposed to install these so-called “drivers” in that download when they are NOT INSTALLABLE???

So next I opened the firmware upgrade TOOL, and I clicked the “Switch” button. THAT actually installed the “Rockchip” driver in the Device Manager, HOWEVER, IMMEDIATELY AFTER that, the tablet DIED!! Black screen, DEAD! I thought it was destroyed! Only after removing the USB cable AND the charge cable, and waiting a few minutes, did it work again! I WAS ABLE TO REPEAT THIS several times! Even after getting “Rockchip” to show for
    the driver in the Device Manager (and even though the tablet was DEAD at that time), I ran the batch file again and the same BS happened that I pasted above!

So I would REALLY be great if you or anyone can tell me WTF is going on here. I’ve spent TWO DAYS now (one without any sleep...updated to 4 now) trying to root this SOB using FOUR different root programs and ALL of them give that same error message I pasted above! (Yes, USB debugging is ON and firewalls are OFF).
    ---------------------------------

For convenience purposes, I've pasted below all of my posts on this:

Pipo M9 Firmware Downloads (Which is basically what I pasted above).
    ------------------------------

.......Ok so this is what I get:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Desktop\RK3188_ROOT>adb shell

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Desktop\RK3188_ROOT>

So what does that tell you? (And the tablet is not connected during this).

Thanks.

This doesn't make any sense. The first one is with the firewall ON, and the second one I had it OFF!

C:\Documents and Settings\Test\[username]\RK3188_ROOT>adb shell
    ADB server didn't ACK

C:\Documents and Settings\Test\[username]\RK3188_ROOT>adb shell

C:\Documents and Settings\Test\[username]\RK3188_ROOT>

Quote Originally Posted by spectra9 View Post
    Did you kill adb.exe first before doing both tests?
    Yes. It's never running in the background anyway unless I first do these kinds of tests.

Also try this test with the firewall off:
    1. Run "adb shell". After the error, confirm that adb.exe is running in Task Manager.
    Yes.

2. Run "telnet localhost 5037". If it show a blank screen, it means a successful connection was made.
    For me it's the 'next day' so just after starting my PC I did the 'shell' again:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Desktop\RK3188_ROOT>

Then I did Telnet:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Desktop\RK3188_ROOT>telnet localhost 5037
    Connecting To localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on port 5037: Connect failed

Since I know I don't need the Telnet Service and it's always on "Manual", I then went to Services and changed it from "Manual" to "Automatic" and started it. Same thing!!

I tried the "ShieldsUp" test at GRC.com and tested port 5037 and got:
    Stealth - Unknown Protocol for this port | Unknown Application for this port
    (I've always gotten a green "Stealth" on ALL of my ports. None are "open" and none are blocked.) Strange that the site doesn't even know what 5037 is. A quick glance at search results seems to indicate it's proprietary for these Android-like tests and rooting, etc.

In my exhaustive searches over the past 3 days, I see a lot of mentioning of "Android SDK" and "SDK". What the hell is that? I've heard of Windows SDK (and it's installed) but not Android SDK. I also saw paths like ".secure" and "...platform-tools" but no one says WHERE they are! I don't have any of them on neither my tablets nor my PC.

I'm at a total loss here. I'm looking more at the results for port 5037.

I need to quickly add here that those tests above were done without the tablet connected to my PC. I'll do them again shortly with it connected, and on, and with the tablet's USB storage on.........or should it be OFF?

EDIT: Ok I did all this again with the tablet connected and USB Storage on. Firewalls disabled, and Telnet running:

ADB server didn't ACK

The results for the telnet localhost 5037 were identical to the previous above. I noticed "tlntsvr.exe" was running in the background, so Telnet was indeed running. I also tried the telnet localhost 5037 at the C: prompt, exact same results!

This is phenomenal. I even enabled Telnet on my router, and even disabled the firewall on my router; all results are the exact same thing!!!!
    --------------------------------------------

At [SOLVED] Android SDK - adb won't start regarding the problem I've having, I saw this in post #5:

"...which suggested an ipv6/localhost issue and that was indeed it. Somehow my lo interface was down and just needed to be enabled again. Voila!"

I used to have 'ipv6' listed in XP's Services, but I no longer have that. I think it was something regarding the Windows Firewall. Since I no longer have that (and again, all firewalls were disabled), I don't see how that can help me. Seeing "localhost" made me remember the Hosts file, but deleting it didn't change anything.

I don't remember which of you it was, but someone said to try that PdaNET program for the 'correct drivers' in order to use that "TPSparkyRoot" batch file for rooting. (You never explained the issues I'm having getting it to run or work, or how it is supposed to "install" the driver(s)), but when I was browsing my M9 in "Developer" area and "Debugging", I saw "Select debug app" and to my shock a "PdaNET+" was listed there, even though it is not installed on the tablet! So I selected it as the debug app (the default was none), but that didn't change anything with regards to the PdaNET program and rooting via TPSparkyRoot.
    -------------------------------------------

Continued in next post below:

Coins
    Continued from post above ^ :

If it helps (or even matters) I have several *android* files on my PC, I'm only putting any sys, inf or driver type files:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\android_wi_D9EDE73877A0CD581B33FA5A0E014893C9B73185 > android_winusb ("Setup Information")

C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRVSTORE\android_wi_D9EDE73877A0CD581B33FA5A0E014893C9B73185 > androidwinusb86 ("Security Catalog")

C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin > android_winusb ("Setup Information")

C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin\i386 > androidusb ("System file", "ADB Interface")

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ReinstallBackups\0066\DriverFiles > android_winusb ("Setup Information"), and, android_winusb.PNF ("Precompiled Setup Information")
    These are also under the same path except for "0067".

That's it. I also for the hell of it downloaded "Android SDK" (420mb!) but haven't installed it yet, until I find out if definitely need it installed.

BTW, the same BS happens when trying to run adb devices:

C:\Documents and Settings\Test\Desktop\RK3188_ROOT>adb devices

Firewalls off.

I can't figure out how to check the status of a specific port using netstat:

netstat -aon | find ":5037"

and:

netstat -an |find /i "5037"

....does absolutely nothing.

"TCPview" doesn't even list port 5037. So I ran "TPSparkyRoot" while "TCPview" was open and it actually shows 5037 as "LISTENING"!

Process: adb.exe

PID: 3716

Protocol: TCP

Local address: [removed]

Local Port: 5037

Remote Address: [removed]

Local Port: 0

State: LISTENING

"Sent" and "Received" were both blank.
    -----------------------------------------------------

I went ahead and did this anyway [installed Android SDK], and as I expected, NOTHING. It doesn't appear to even do anything other than help you develop Android apps! I found a "adb.exe" file in one of the folders, I replaced "adb.exe" that was in the "TPSparkyRoot" folder with the one from SDK that I found and that didn't change anything.

This is beyond demoralizing.
    --------------------------------------

I would indeed be most appreciative if you, anyone, can tell me how to root this SOB!!!!!!

Thanks.

Coins
    Some more updates:

I saw "Moborobo" and even tried it. Rarely, could I get it to even 'connect' it usually said something about 'unable to connect' or 'device not found', something like that. But even when I could get it connected', when I went to the next screen it said something like 'Please connect your device now' and it was connected!

Trying to use any drivers from the RKBatchTool: I see (in the XP folder), "rockusb", "DriverCoInstaller.dll", and in the home folder I see "config". I just now tried all of those and none of them would even install! Even when I try and force the install ('install from disk' or 'specify location'), it keeps saying "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware". ?!?!?!?!?

In my Device Manager I see: Android Phone -> Android ADB interface. For the "driver details", I see "WinUSB.sys", "WdfCoInstaller01009.dll", and "WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll", all in the system32 folder, and they all show as being from "Microsoft"!

I just now tried enabling and starting any of XP's Services that I had disabled, that might have anything to do with this. Same crap.

Currently Offline 2.2.x Froyo ***
    Coins
    Your tablet did not die when you switch the mode. It's in firmware upgrade mode.
    You have to be in this mode to root it.
    There should be plenty of youtube video for rooting rk3188, just follow one of them.

Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by max1001 View Post
    Your tablet did not die when you switch the mode. It's in firmware upgrade mode. You have to be in this mode to root it. There should be plenty of youtube video for rooting rk3188, just follow one of them.
    Are you positive about that, and where did you see that? No one has ever mentioned that it needs to be in any kind of "mode" to do this (other than USB storage mode or it won't be seen by the PC). Here for example, another place with no mention of putting it in any 'upgrade mode'. How to root Rockchip RK3188 quad core device, like Cube U30GT 2, Pipo M9? - Geek Gadgets . And, how would you reboot 2 more times it if you were in that mode?

I looked and there is no videos on this. There is a few on rooting the M9, and those methods won't work.

Coins
    Well I tried it anyway and that also didn't work. I made "rockusb" show up in the Device Manager using the RKBatchTool program and clicking "Switch" on it. The tablet "died" again as before. I then ran the "TPSparkyRoot" batch file, same crap, even after pressing the [space] bar two more times. I then pressed its power button, nothing happen. But the RKBatchTool area went blank, data no longer in it showed. Then I pressed its power button again, and it came back on, and it went back to the previous drivers in the Device Manager without me doing anything.

Currently Offline Android 1.0 ***
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Are you positive about that, and where did you see that? No one has ever mentioned that it needs to be in any kind of "mode" to do this (other than USB storage mode or it won't be seen by the PC). Here for example, another place with no mention of putting it in any 'upgrade mode'. How to root Rockchip RK3188 quad core device, like Cube U30GT 2, Pipo M9? - Geek Gadgets . And, how would you reboot 2 more times it if you were in that mode?

I looked and there is no videos on this. There is a few on rooting the M9, and those methods won't work.
    Did you turn USB storage mode ON when it prompt you? You should NOT turn USB Storage mode ON when trying to root. There are 3 modes possible when connecting the tablet to the PC:

1. Tablet ON, USB Debugging OFF, USB Storage mode ON. Windows will install its own driver without interruption . In this mode, Windows will see the tablet just like any other mass storage device.
    2. Tablet ON, USB Debugging ON, USB Storage mode OFF. Windows will try to install ADB driver which will usually fail. I use PdaNet to install the driver. In this mode, communication to the tablet via ADB interface is possible, which is required to root the device.
    3. Tablet OFF and connected to the PC. While holding the ESC button down, press the POWER button. Windows will try to install a new driver. This is the rockusb driver it's looking for. Use this mode to flash a firmware. Note that at first the tablet will be displayed as an unknown device in Device Manager. You need to install the driver manually by pointing Windows to the appropriate folder which contain the rockusb.sys file

Coins
    Clint. I've replied to your other thread, perhaps we should continue our discussion over there.
    Ok, yes, for the rooting. But my post #264 over there is about upgrading the FW.

Did you turn USB storage mode ON when it prompt you? You should NOT turn USB Storage mode ON when trying to root.
    I've tried it both on and off. That is when you touch the clock area on the tablet and then touch "USB Connected", then "Turn on USB storage". I've done it on and off. USB Storage off:

ADB server didn't ACK
    ADB server didn't ACK
    --- Reboot 1/3 - Press Space Bar once the device has rebooted

I still don't know how exactly you "reboot" a tablet, you can't restart them. Does that turn it off then back on again? If I continue on from that very point above and keep pressing the [Space] bar, it does this, below that text above:

ADB server didn't ACK
    ADB server didn't ACK
    ADB server didn't ACK
    --- Reboot 2/3 - Press Space Bar once the device has rebooted
    ADB server didn't ACK
    --- If the ID shows as 0/root then continue, otherwise CTRL+C to cancel and start over

I haven't got a clue as to what that in bold ^ means! Where? Where would it show any ID? At any rate, after that it's still not rooted.

There are 3 modes possible when connecting the tablet to the PC:

1. Tablet ON, USB Debugging OFF, USB Storage mode ON. Windows will install its own driver without interruption . In this mode, Windows will see the tablet just like any other mass storage device.
    2. Tablet ON, USB Debugging ON, USB Storage mode OFF. Windows will try to install ADB driver which will usually fail. I use PdaNet to install the driver. In this mode, communication to the tablet via ADB interface is possible, which is required to root the device.
    3. Tablet OFF and connected to the PC. While holding the ESC button down, press the POWER button. Windows will try to install a new driver. This is the rockusb driver it's looking for. Use this mode to flash a firmware. Note that at first the tablet will be displayed as an unknown device in Device Manager. You need to install the driver manually by pointing Windows to the appropriate folder which contain the rockusb.sys file
    But which of those do I use? I'm guessing not #3 because you said it's for FW only. Since all info says USB Debugging must be enabled to root, then that only leaves #2. ?

(Bold) which driver was that?

EDIT: I just uninstalled it again, then went through the hardware found wizard, nav'd to C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android and as expected nothing there, then nav'd to C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin and it accepted that path, but then once again asked for that frickin' "WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll" file that's not in any of the PdaNET folders! At C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin\i386 there's "WdfCoInstaller01007.dll" and "WinUSBCoInstaller.dll" but it will not accept those!
    Last edited by Clint; 05-22-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Coins
    I looked at the inf file in C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin, (android_winusb), and no where in it is listed "WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll"!!!! There's several other *coinstaller* file names, but not that one! So WTF is it doing constantly asking for it??? It's asking for the wrong frickin' file name!

EDIT: In the "C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin\i386" path, I renamed "WinUSBCoInstaller.dll" to "WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll" since dumb-ass XP keeps asking for it, and it accepted it, but then it stopped and asked for "WdfCoInstaller01009.dll"!!! In that same folder I saw a "WdfCoInstaller01007.dll" file and I even renamed it to what it was asking for, it accepted it, and after all that crap, the same f**king drivers are being used in the Device Manager!!!!! X 1000
    Last edited by Clint; 05-22-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Currently Offline Android 1.0 ***
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    (Bold) which driver was that?

EDIT: I just uninstalled it again, then went through the hardware found wizard, nav'd to C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android and as expected nothing there, then nav'd to C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin and it accepted that path, but then once again asked for that frickin' "WinUSBCoInstaller2.dll" file that's not in any of the PdaNET folders! At C:\Program Files\PdaNet for Android\usbwin\i386 there's "WdfCoInstaller01007.dll" and "WinUSBCoInstaller.dll" but it will not accept those!
    Well in my case, PdaNet setup will install the driver by itself, no need to manually point Windows to anything.

About the "reboot" thing in the batch file, the tablet will reboot by itself because an adb command inside the BAT file will tell it to do so, so no need to do anything but wait until it restarted and press spacebar