+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Currently Offline 1.6 Donut ***

Allwinner A10 General FAQ (non tablet specific)

Preface: I am combining a couple of resources into a general help guide since I'm seeing the trend of several folks asking the same questions. Through this method all questions can be redirected to this thread. I will expand the questions as time goes on.

One note you are running the scripts and following this advice at your own risk. Since this is an A10 General faq it is unknown whether it will work with _EVERY_ A10 based tablet. Please be aware that I will make no guarantees, and suggest you read _QUESTION 1_ most carefully and follow that advice first. It is absolutely the best place to start.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. I am getting started with my A10 based tablet and want to protect myself from screwing it up. What is the best way of doing this?

The best way is to make sure you can download & flash new firmware to your tablet. Having the ability to flash firmware means you can recover from most situtations, and will give you the confidence to try out different firmware versions that your manufacturer released.

2. My A10 based tablet did not come rooted. How can I root it?

If you are using Gingerbread (Android version 2.3.X) use Tasselhoff's Script. it can be found here
    2.3.x Topnotch Tablets A10 scripts download Page

If you are using Ice Cream Sandwich, we currently believe all the firmwares are pre-rooted. If this has changed we can examine it in the future.

3. My A10 based tablet did not come with market, how can I install Market?

If you are using Gingerbread (Android version 2.3.X) use Tasselhoff's Script. it can be found here
    2.3.x Topnotch Tablets A10 scripts download Page

If you are using Ice Cream Sandwich (Android version < 4.0.3) use Lordsbm's script. it can be found here
    Lordsbm's script for all allwinner A10 tablets

If you are using Ice Cream Sandwich for Android version 4.0.3+ you might need to use a 4.0.3 variant to get market. http://www.sappasit.go.th/android/ne...r_ics4.0.3.zip
    (Before flashing you might want to read Question 10 below for script customizations), Onda owners have provided positive feedback thus far for this script.

If you are using 4.0.3 plus and the newtech25 script does not work. The final options is the
    XxLorxX Cleaned ICS Script
    For most tablets newtech25 seems fine. The Cleaned ICS script should only be used if the above fails. Novo 7A owners have provided positive feedback for this script.

4. My A10 based tablet did not come with Google Maps/other google apps? Can I install it?

If you are using Gingerbread (Android version 2.3.X) use the Automod Script. it can be found here
    2.3.x Topnotch Tablets A10 scripts download Page. Beware to _not_ use the build.prop from that script as it's compatability may not be good for all tablets. In that package you will find all the google apps in the apks subdirectory. copy them either into your tablets memory or on an sd card and install them.

If you are using Ice Cream Sandwich (< Android version 4.0.3) use Lordsbm's script. it can be found here
    Lordsbm's script for all allwinner A10 tablets

If you are using Ice Cream Sandwich for Android version 4.0.3+ you might need to use a 4.0.3 variant to get the apps to install without getting stuck in boot. http://www.sappasit.go.th/android/ne...r_ics4.0.3.zip
    (Before flashing you might want to read Question 10 below for script customizations)

5. How can I flash a new firmware to my A10 tablet?

Tablet flashing and keys to get into the "flashing state" are specific for each tablet unfortunately. You will have to find a guide specific to your tablet. That said here is the "General Routine"

1. Turn off your tablet. (on your tablet)
    2. Install Livesuite (skip if it is already installed). It usually is package with the firmware (on PC)
    3. run Livesuite (From your PC)
    4. Rename your firmware image (should be named some.img), and remove any chinese characters that it might contain. (on your PC)
    5. In the Livesuite Software use the "File Cabinet" button to browse and select your firmware image. (On PC)
    6. use your tablet specific button sequence. (on Tablet)
    7. Plug in your tablet to the usb port of your computer (both)
    8. if all went well livesuite will present you with a "Do you want to format upgrade" type dialog. Click yes twice and it will begin the firmware update. (on your PC)
    9. After the firmware upgrade, you will need to reboot your tablet. (note language & keyboard will usually be set to chinese)

some Tablet specific button sequences:
    Ainol : Hold Vol+, Press Power button 6 times quickly (after plugging in usb)
    Onda : Hold Menu button
    Teclast : Hold Home button, Press Power button 6 times quickly (after pluggin in usb)

6. Where can I get new firmware for my A10 tablet?

Firmware unfortunately is specific to each tablet. The manufacturer of your tablet will usually update their website's download page when they have released new firmware.

7. My A10 based tablet, will start booting, and will either stop booting before loading the full android OS, or will reboot and end in a loop rebooting.

This can occur either as a result of a bad flash, or some corrupted file giving the OS grief. Unfortunately the only way I know how to fix it is to flash the firmware.

8. I flashed ICS Android 4.0 on my A10 based tablet, but the Adobe Flash on the market does not work? What can I do?

The thing with current Adobe Flash is that it don't work on default browser and dolphin, you need to look for Flash 11.1.102.59 and it'll work with opera. Since it is not working well, we do not currently advise you installing/running flash with ICS. Hopefully this problem will be addressed in the future.

9. I'm running Android 4.0.3 and I ran a market script but now it seems that my tablet can no longer boot. What can I do?

The problem is the market script you ran was inappropriate for your version of Android. To correct this problem you will have to re-flash your device to Android 4.0.3 again. Then run the 4.0.3 specific script.
    http://www.sappasit.go.th/android/ne...r_ics4.0.3.zip
    (Before flashing you might want to read Question 10 below for script customizations)

10. I ran the newtech25 script for ICS 4.0.3 and my bootloader animation has changed and or some buttons on my tablet no longer function. Is there any way to fix this?

Extract the zip file as you normally would. In the extracted directories do the following....

To remove the bootanimation change remove the following line from fullmarket.bat
    "call gapp s5 bootanimation.zip"

To remove the build.prop change (so it doesn't change your button maps) remove the following 2 lines from fullmarket.bat
    "adb push "ICS\b2\build.prop" /system
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/build.prop"

Run the script against a _FRESHLY FLASHED_ 4.0.3 in order for the changes to take effect. In other words if you already ran the
    script, it's too late and the files you need are already overwritten. You will have to reflash.

11. There are a lot of scripts referenced in this FAQ. How do I run them. What do I need?

You will need a Windows computer, Your tablet (fully charged), and an USB cable.

1) Download the script you wish use (on PC)
    2) Unpack the script into a directory (on PC)
    3) in the Settings menu set your tablet to enable USB Debugging (on Tablet)
    4) Install the appropriate ADB drivers ... if needed (On PC)
    5) run the batch file from your directory... usually fullmarket.bat (On PC)

Where to find ADB drivers:

I use the drivers from PDANET:
    Download PdaNet

GoldBond drivers have worked from some...
    64 bit : USB Drivers Windows 7 - Vista - 64Bit
    32 bit : USB Drivers Windows 7 - Vista - XP - 32Bit

Finally if you are having issues make sure to read through thsi thread as it may help...
    [Driver] - Ainol Novo 7 Advanced - Thanks KingKephin! - SlateDroid.com

more to come...
    Last edited by suppin; 02-01-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: adding more info

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suppin For This Useful Post:

andropos (02-24-2012), droidone (03-09-2012), hadron (03-04-2012), TabHog (02-16-2012), will567 (03-04-2012), zer09 (03-17-2012)

3. Rikomagic 728
    Currently Offline Android 1.0 ***
    Care should be taken when using topnotch automod script with something other than a N7A, there were a few couple key/button things in there that could, and did in my case, remap buttons.
    Just check the script throughly before use.

Sent from my Novo 7 Advanced using Tapatalk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to planetbill513 For This Useful Post:

suppin (01-26-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by planetbill513 View Post
    Care should be taken when using topnotch automod script with something other than a N7A, there were a few couple key/button things in there that could, and did in my case, remap buttons.
    Just check the script throughly before use.

Sent from my Novo 7 Advanced using Tapatalk.
    right I will add a point not to use the automod portion, but only use the apks from that script.

Currently Offline Ice Cream Sandwich ***
    Coins
    Thank you for putting this together.

Currently Offline Android 1.1 ***
    Thanks for the info.

Currently Offline Android 1.0 ***
    huh? so dojt use auto if u not novo7? so confused

Quote Originally Posted by legits View Post
    huh? so dojt use auto if u not novo7? so confused
    the automod script has some google apks which are invaluable for you, but you shouldn't use the scripts verbatim, because it might cause some button mappings to go wrong, just grab the apks and install them manually. The Tasslehoff script should be safe regardless.

Currently Offline Beta *
    As Suppin mentioned, these scripts cannot be used whole sale.

With Onda devices, not only will the mapping go wrong, some of the apks will cause camera and certain google aps to force close. I had one instance where wireless stopped working. You will need to tinker with the apks and a bit to see what works and does not for you (and a lot of reloading original firmware). Early adopter headaches.

Suppin, thanks for putting the info here together.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pphjl For This Useful Post:

suppin (01-26-2012)

Currently Offline Beta
    Managed to get Market with "XxLorxX Cleaned ICS Script" script into my Novo7 Aurora, but display resolution is off. Icons are too tiny, etc.

I guess, I need to tweak build.prop to resolve it ? Any idea, what I need to change in it to get it back to original Aurora resolution ?

EDIT: I assume that modifying "ro.sf.lcd_density=120" to ro.sf.lcd_density=160" changes resolution/icons more closer to original Aurora specification ?

C:\ADB>adb pull /system/build.prop c:\adb

C:\ADB>adb remount

Notepad "build.prop" change the value to 160

C:\ADB>adb push c:\adb\build.prop /system/

C:\ADB>adb reboot

Could somebody who still has original aurora build.prop file tell me what's the original value of LCD density ?
    Last edited by ADvaper; 01-31-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADvaper View Post
    Could somebody who still has original aurora build.prop file tell me what's the original value of LCD density ?
    You might be better off reflashing and tweaking the script so it does not copy the build.prop. The original build.prop from the firmware flash should be fine for most. worse case scenario you can change your fingerprint to gain better market access, but the original build.prop should be where you start regardless.