Coins

Pipo M9 Review

Pipo M9
    Specifications:
    1.10.1" 1280*800 IPS Screen Android 4.2 Tablet PC
    2. RK3188 Quad core,1.8GHz,RAM 2GB/16GB
    3.Front camera 2.0MP,Rear 5.0M
    4.Bluetooth/HDMI/3G/Flash/OTG/3D gaming

Bought from aliexpress for $280 (including a keyboard case, hdmi cable and screenprotector)

Package contents:
    - powerline adapter
    - usb - OTG cable (1 OTG > male USB and 1 OTG > female USB)
    - in-ear headphones
    - Pipo M9
    The tablet and it's cables where in a seperate box. The tablet's box is really slim and well designed.

In comparison with the Ainol Novo 10 Hero II (both are 10.1 inch tablets) there’s a pretty big difference in size. The tablet on the left is the Pipo M9.

The Pipo M9 is on top of the Hero II. If you take a good look at the screen you’ll notice some weird ‘blocks’. These can be seen when the screen has dark colours or the tablet is turned off.

The thickness hasn’t got a real difference between both tablets. De Pipo M9 is just a tiny bit thinner (on the left). But more important, the buildquality of the Pipo is better around the corners.

De sides have a plastic panel for grip. The innerpanel is made of a brushed metal which feels pretty good.

All buttons and in- and outputs on the top of the tablet. Notice the big (and ugly) camera with flashlight. There is a reset button as well.

The tablet – feeling and appearance:

Directly after the unboxing of the tablet I was astonished by it’s size. The tablet is made really compact with small bezels. This reduction in ‘non- usable’ space is welcome and gives the tablet a really nice flair to it. But above all, the build quality is really nice. Everything fits tight and there’s no notice of any ‘loose’ panels. The tablet gives a compact and durable feeling.
    It’s weight is at 574g (compared to 647g of the Hero II). It feels robust and the grip on the back feels alright. The thickness of this tablet is just about the same as the Hero II. The sides of the Pipo however, are more round than the gradually curving sides of the Hero II (but this is just a difference, not a pro or con). The back has, like mentioned earlier, two plastic sidepanels for grip. The transition into the brushed aluminum is done well and gives place to two speakers (stereo) which are hardly visible. As mentioned, the rear camera is easy visible and personally I don’t like it. However, there’s a resetbutton next to it.
    The in and output holes are on top. You notice pretty quick that there’re no volume buttons. The only buttons are a ESC and powerbutton. Out and inputs are: powerline, miniHDMI, 2x micro usb!, audio jack and a micro SD card slot.

Performances – usage:

The tablet was fully loaded and ready for use. Startup was pretty quick and simple (English) widgets await you. Ironically you get to see an error immediately (about the music player) which is the only time I’ve seen it. The tablet isn’t rooted but there’s hardly any Chinese bloatware on it. Just some benchmark apps and of course Need For Speed Shift. The bloatware can be uninstalled pretty easily.
    Volume buttons are within the system bar and are easily accessible.
    The tablet responds very well. Al apps launch fluid and fast. The brightness of the screen is adjustable and it looks like it’s similar to the Hero II (although the latter can be just a little bit brighter and seems to have more accuracy in the changing of brightness). What can be found annoying is the little flickering of the screen when you have it on low brightness. This is hardly visible, but when you’re reading a book it can be irritable.
    Wifi is really good. It has better performance than the Hero II (which had pretty good wifi as well). Webpages load fast and fluid. At random times the Wifi goes off and on.
    I cannot say much about the battery because I haven’t used the tablet for long times. However, it does seem the usage duration will be shorter than the Hero II (because the latter has a bigger battery).
    I haven’t used the Bluetooth (yet).
    Note that this is just my experience with the first stock firmware. I guess things can be improved with updates.

Benchmarks:

Shopping Links
    -----------------------------------------------
    Pipo Max M9 10.1-inch Tablet PC RK3188
    - Free shipping
    -----------------------------------------------
    Last edited by andropos; 03-25-2013 at 11:55 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FugitiveFromHeaven For This Useful Post:

andropos (03-06-2013), Clint (03-30-2013), dfranz (03-20-2013), Jammer (03-06-2013), Reborn (03-13-2013), Roy42 (05-17-2013), waterresist (03-15-2013), will567 (03-07-2013)

Currently Offline Android 1.0 ***
    Coins

A short video of mine. Please tell me to record specific games or apps for this tablet. I will make a video of it.

Last edited by FugitiveFromHeaven; 03-07-2013 at 04:53 PM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FugitiveFromHeaven For This Useful Post:

Clint (03-30-2013), dfranz (03-07-2013), Reborn (03-13-2013), will567 (03-08-2013)

Currently Offline Android 1.0 ***
    Coins

Small review
    Last edited by FugitiveFromHeaven; 03-20-2013 at 09:57 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FugitiveFromHeaven For This Useful Post:

Clint (03-30-2013)

Currently Offline 2.3.x Gingerbread ***
    Coins
    Brilliant review, excellent attention to detail, especially about the build quality, surprised by the quadrant score,thought it would score higher

Currently Offline Founder
    Coins
    Thanks for the review.
    I would like to get my hands on one of these.

You should include the specs for the device.

1. Is that the RK3188 version?
    2. How much did you pay for it?

The pattern you see on the screen is the sensors fro the touch panel.

I agree the camera would look better if the lens was round, and its a really funky location for a reset hole.
    Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

Currently Offline Beta

Question Nice!

I'll be (among the list of many others) highly obliged if you could share some more details on the tablet. I'm stuck between the choice of Ramos W30 and this one (M9) too.

Can you please highlight the following in specific:
    - Cameras (there's a lot of fuss about AutoFocus cam being there, better than others 5Mp / 2mp?)
    - Battery Life (average hours)
    - WiFi performance
    - Sound (Stereo speakers?)
    - HDMI test?
    - Bluetooth working?

If you think there's any other option worth of spending $300 (or less), PLEASE do let me know!

Thanks,
    Jas

Currently Offline 2.2.x Froyo ***
    Coins
    M9 is only around $250 at most store. I think it's a better buy over the W30.

Currently Offline Founder
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by max1001 View Post
    M9 is only around $250 at most store. I think it's a better buy over the W30.
    Why do you think that?
    The M9 is not even available for purchase yet, how can you compare.
    Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

Currently Offline Ice Cream Sandwich ***
    Coins
    Actually a couple guys at slatedroid say they got theirs today.
    ASUS Vivotab Smart
    Barnes & Nobles Nook HD+
    Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
    JXD S7800B

Currently Offline Beta Team Member ***
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by will567 View Post
    Actually a couple guys at slatedroid say they got theirs today.
    Several suppliers have them now- mine does too.
    Currently using FNF iFive Mini 3 ,Ramos W30, Dell Venue 8, Asus Memo Hd7
    Some that I have owned/used/tested Bmorn v99, Ainol Novo 9 Spark (Retina screen)Ainol Novo Basic, Ainol Novo Advanced, Ainol Novo Hero, Ramos w30, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, MeLe M8,uHost 1A, MK808, Samsung Galaxy Note. http://mcandroidexpert.com

Toronto based store: http://mcandroidworld.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast