Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Novo 7 Aurora II review by PartyBob

Currently Offline Beta *

Novo 7 Aurora II review by PartyBob

Link to unboxing post:
    Novo 7 Aurora II Unboxing by Partybob

Hardware
    CPU: Amlogic8726-M6 Cortex-A9 Dual Core(1.5Ghz) (My firmware is running at 1.3Ghz)
    GPU: Dual Core Mail 4002
    RAM: DDR3 1G 1333MHZ
    Storage: 16GB
    Screen: 7 inch Capacitive Touchscreen, 1024*600 High-resolution IPS Screen
    Resolution: 1024*600 Pixels
    Visible Angle: 178
    Display: IPS
    Camera: Front camera, 2 Megapixels
    Extend Card: Support TF card up to 32GB extended
    Gravity Sensor: Yes
    WIFI: Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
    3G: Not built in, support external 3G dongle
    Bluetooth: No
    GPS: No
    Multi-Touch: Yes, 5 points touch
    HDMI: mini HDMI
    Mini usb

As we all know the specs of a tablet doesn't really say much about how it will perform. Ainol really has work to do with the os. The tablet is great for gaming, but in the os everything is sluggish and a bit slow. Now everyone who read my unboxing knows that i probably have some sort hardware problem. I also had problems with ghost touches. The ghost touch went away when i updated the firmware to (0626). But it is very apperent that there is something wrong with the hardware. The screen misses touches very often and when i drag my fingers over the screen it doesnt follow my fingers. Look at the youtube videos below.

http://youtu.be/CxrgCGhDcZg

http://youtu.be/eC68lVWGFlA

When i did the test in the videos above. I gently placed my fingers on the tablet and they touched the surface the entire time.

I also have problems with the tablet getting warm. I mean really warm. I used a infrared thermometer and when playing Dead Space for about 10 minutes the hottest place was 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). Maybe its something they can solve with a firmware update. Or maybe there is something hardware related with my tablet. I mean i have something very wrong with the touch so why not that too. I have googled a bit but not found very much on the subject. Perheps some of my readers can enlighten me

The Wifi speed is great. It maxed out my broadband (16mbit download and 1mbit upload). I could even stream a 1080p 10mbps video from my server without any buffering (i used mxplayer). I have a Netgear N300 WNR3500L router. It has b/g/n wifi. However i could not stream through my other router that is a Thomson TG789vn. Which also has b/g/n wifi. Don’t know why. So it should be able to stream videos through wifi if it agrees with you router

The physical buttons on the tablet feels cheap. I dont like them, but they give a very distinct click when u press them. Which is nice. And the back key is just unnecessary since you have a back key in the OS. The construction of the tablet looks solid. But if you bend it really gentle it makes a lot of noises and flexes in all directions. But that's what you get when using plastic
    And wrapping up the hardware i just ha a question. Why mini usb and not micro usb?

Benchmarks
    Here is some screenshots of a few benchmarks i made.

If you want more benchmark you can check out andropos post: Novo 7 Aurora II First impressions

Software
    The Android version is still 4.03.
    Which is a pity. But hopefully they will upgrade it to 4.04 soon, and with all the talented rommakers out there perhaps it will get 4.1.

Compatibility with apps
    There are a lot of apps that isn't compatible with the Aurora II. I haven't done much research into why, but here is some examples:
    Facebook for android
    Chrome (browser)
    Google Earth
    Google Maps (v5.11 is preinstalled but cannot update from current version since google play says its not compatible)
    Google Plus
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Cut The Rope

I guess that all the above apps can be installed by other means besides google play but i haven't tried. So don't hold it against me if it doesn't work

Sound
    Builtin speakers:
    The built in speakers is really bad. Nothing more to say.
    Using headphones with the tablet is almost a must.

Gaming
    I have tested the following games on the tablet.

Mass Effect - Infiltrator

Dead Space

Reckless Getaway

Sentinel 3

All the above games have really great graphics and runs great on the Aurora 2.

Video playback test:
    I only tested 2 different clips. One with 10mbps bitrate and one with 18mbps bitrate, both 1080p.
    Both played from local storage. I used Mx player when testing.
    10mbps bitrate played without any problems.
    18mbps bitrate played but with significant lag and audio was out of sync.

Summary:

The Ainol Aurora II tablet is a really good tablet. It’s good at playing videos, gaming and browsing. The pages loads fast and scrolls without a lot of stutter. Browsing tests were performed with the stock ics browser. I would have tried Chrome but since google play says that the tablet isnt compatible i skipped it.
    There is only on thing to consider before buing the tablet. Now Google will launch the Google Nexus 7 (build by ASUS). Which is also a 7 inch tablet, with a IPS display and Tegra 3 (quad core cpu). And it only costs about 40$ more. Sure it doesn't have a sdcard slot or a hdmi out. But if they start selling the Nexus 7 worldwide i think a lot of chinese tablets will be in trouble. Since one of their greatest selling-point is the price.

Pro:
    The Price
    Its Fast.
    Expandable storage.
    Fast Charging. (with the wall charger)
    Great screen.
    Hdmi Out

Cons:
    Android 4.03,
    The physical buttons.
    Build quality
    Slow and laggy in the os.
    It gets really warm
    Mini USB (why ainol, why)
    Buildin Speakers.

I hope you enjoyed my review. Since this is my first tablet review i would really like to know what you guys think. And also if you belive i missed something very important or got my facts wrong somewhere.
    Last edited by andropos; 07-19-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    dfranz likes this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Partybob For This Useful Post:

dfranz (07-23-2012)

Currently Offline Founder
    Coins
    Thanks for the review.
    I really liked the Aurora I and i was looking forward for this dual-core upgrade, but it looks like Ainol had to rush with this release and the firmware is not polished to offer the smooth experience that you would expect from a dual-core tab.

I personally like to have physical buttons on a device, you never know when you will need it when stuck in a app that run full screen, plus having access to volume button is always welcome.

As for the Nexus 7 being only 40USD more, is not reality for must of us humans.
    In UK the 8GB costs 250USD and for ppl outside US and UK it may take months before they will be able to purchase one.

Lets see if Ainol can fix those issues and maybe lower the price for their new models to stay in the game.
    Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

Currently Offline Beta *
    I agree with you Andropos. The tablet and the firmware is probably rushed and with ainol doing a decent job supplying updates it will most likely be get much better.

I didnt like the physical buttons but like you said, sometimes they are nice to have.

The Nexus 7 is probably not going to hit the worldwide market with the us pricetag. I hear rumors that it will come to Sweden (where i live) and the pricetag will be around 350 usd. It is still cheap but the gap to the Chinese tablets have increased very much.

Currently Offline Beta *
    Thank You

Currently Offline Beta *
    I used "Touch Test" and "Multitouch Vis Test"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Partybob For This Useful Post:

Nicici (07-20-2012)

Currently Offline Beta Team Member ***
    Coins
    Quote Originally Posted by Partybob View Post
    I agree with you Andropos. The tablet and the firmware is probably rushed and with ainol doing a decent job supplying updates it will most likely be get much better.

I didnt like the physical buttons but like you said, sometimes they are nice to have.

The Nexus 7 is probably not going to hit the worldwide market with the us pricetag. I hear rumors that it will come to Sweden (where i live) and the pricetag will be around 350 usd. It is still cheap but the gap to the Chinese tablets have increased very much.
    Thanks for the review, great job. Its funny that the higher price Aurora II has these issues, while the Elf II I just posted the review for, does not. I did experience the heating issue the first couple of days and was going to update with a ROM on another forum, but it went away- very strange!

The Google Nexus will be the catalyst, I think, to push the China tabs to be better at lower price points, we will see.
    Currently using FNF iFive Mini 3 ,Ramos W30, Dell Venue 8, Asus Memo Hd7
    Some that I have owned/used/tested Bmorn v99, Ainol Novo 9 Spark (Retina screen)Ainol Novo Basic, Ainol Novo Advanced, Ainol Novo Hero, Ramos w30, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, MeLe M8,uHost 1A, MK808, Samsung Galaxy Note. http://mcandroidexpert.com

Toronto based store: http://mcandroidworld.com/

Currently Offline Beta Team Member ***
    Coins
    by the way: is there anyway to know for sure if a tablet is IPS, FFS, or PLS? without dismantling the unit? I have seen IPS screens on devices, according to the specs at least, that to me do not seem to be really so.
    Currently using FNF iFive Mini 3 ,Ramos W30, Dell Venue 8, Asus Memo Hd7
    Some that I have owned/used/tested Bmorn v99, Ainol Novo 9 Spark (Retina screen)Ainol Novo Basic, Ainol Novo Advanced, Ainol Novo Hero, Ramos w30, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, MeLe M8,uHost 1A, MK808, Samsung Galaxy Note. http://mcandroidexpert.com

Toronto based store: http://mcandroidworld.com/

Currently Offline Founder
    Coins
    I think that would be very difficult to see as IPS and FFS are very similar technologies. Maybe from looking at the screen drivers (if you know how to hack your device) your could see some info about the screen and google it, but i think it would be easier to open the device and check the sticker on the display.
    Help fight spam -> How to report spam * Blacklisted Sellers
    Buy samples > > Teclast P89 mini - iFive mini3 - Z Watch - HiMedia Q5II - MK802IV - Mele M8 - Cloudnetgo CR11/s

11. The Following User Says Thank You to andropos For This Useful Post:

dfranz (07-26-2012)

Currently Offline Beta *
    update:

I have now flashed the Ainol Aurora II with the new official firmware (0705). It is said to fix the touch input problem and the heat generation when charging the tablet.
    When testing the touch i notice an improvement over the last firmware. But it is still not perfect, but perhaps that is due to the digitizer and not so much the software. There is still quite a lot of miss touches when swiping the screen and also when trying to rearrange the icons on the dashboard.
    When charging the tablet i notice it doesn't heat up as much as before. But it seems to charge much slower. I haven timed the charge before and after but it "feels" slower.

Android in general feels a bit less choppy but all benchmarks i done with the new firmware there is almost no difference. So i wont be posting any new pics.

The bad side with 0705 is that it is missing google apps and google play store. Which is a big disappointment. But i found someone who repacked the rom with play store and root so i flashed that instead. If you want that rom do a google for "Novo_7_Aurora_II_0705_Repack_Root_MarketFix_Gapps".

Have anything else you want me to test with the new firmware just ask.
    Last edited by Partybob; 07-27-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Currently Offline Beta *
    I just heard a rumor about the Nexus 7. Apparently it will appear in Sweden in September and will cost 287 usd for the GB version. The 8GB version will not appear at all in Sweden. Which is still a very low price for a Tegra 3 tablet.