Pipo M6 vs M8 Pro - Short review by peterblack
Last month I received Pipo M8 Pro which was ordered from a shop in Bangkok. I was very happy with it for about one week. The M8 Pro was used for web surfing, gaming, watching movie, youtube and working. At the end of the week I found backlight bleeding from screen corners, very noticable at the bottom corners. So I talked to the guy at the shop I bought and he showed me few M8 Pros in his shop just to see that they all had the same backlight bleeding. He was so kind to offer me to change for other model so I decided to go for M6 3G. I had to wait for few weeks and finally my Pipo M6 arrived many days ago.
The first impression is the build quality, no loose part or gap. The device was very well assembled but heavier than the M8 Pro. The retina screen is very beautiful, this is the highlight of this tablet which is far superior than the M8 Pro but also requires more attempt from SOC. This was my worry because I was not sure whether RK3188 can do this task well or not. So I have tested the M6 for many days and would like to share my experiences and opinion about this tablet vs M8 Pro as written below :-
My M6 was pre-installed with :-
Fri Jul19 18:53:21 CST 2013
rk30sdk-eng 4.2.2 JDQ39 eng lih 20130720.112304 test-keys
I have no idea about this firmware. One thing I would like to know is whether it is based on SDK2.0 fo rk3188 or not?
1. Build Quality - I would give M6 9/10 and M8Pro 7/10.
2. Wifi - I think M8 Pro is good but M6 is better. It connects fast and maintain connection very well. Here I would give M8Pro 8/10 and M6 9/10.
3. Loudspeaker - M8 Pro has better volume level but M6 has better tonal balance so I would give them 7/10 both.
4. Screen Quality - M6 is better in terms of picture quality and build quality. It has higher resolution, selectable display mode between normal and HD mode (1600x1200 and 2048x1536) which is very useful and doesn't have blacklight bleeding. M6 deserves score 9/10 and 7/10 for M8 Pro.
5. Touch Screen Response - M6 does better than the M8 Pro. Frequently that I found the touch screen of M8 Pro too sensitive, I typed one letter but it gave me two or three duplicate letters. This was very annoying and setting sensitivity didn't help.
6. System Performance - M8 Pro is very good in this area because it isn't equipped with retina screen. However, as mentioned earlier that M6 has selectable display mode between HD (2048x1536) and Normal (1600x1200). Setting display at HD is too much for the system to perform smoothly. It almost can do the job but still lack some more power to do it well. I am not sure that a good firmware based on SDK2.0 will solve this problem or not but I can say that it still not reach "smooth" level both in web surfing and gaming. This might not be noticable when reading or surfing website but for me who had experiences from M5 and M8Pro, I have to say that I still can feel the laggy response from this setting.
Fortunately that it has selectable display mode, at Normal setting the M6 runs very smoothly in all tasks from gaming, web surfing, typing documents, e-book reading and pdf reading. At 1600x1200 I can hardly tell the difference in picture quality comparing to 2014x1536 setting. In term of ppi, at 1600x1200 we still have 206ppi comparing to 161ppi of M8 Pro but M6 can deliver the same smooth performance as M8 Pro, I think that's a big advantage of M6. I also run a series of benchmark test as you can see below.
Antutu v3.3.2 : 15749 /14444
Quadrant : 5323 /5273
Nenamark 1 : 56.1 /55.9
Nenamark 2 : 51.3 / 53.7 < This is strange and I have no idea why
Vellamo Html 5 : 1753 / 1708
Metal : 540 /540 < Why two results are equal? I don't understand
Finally I would give 9/10 to M8 Pro, 8.5/10 to M6 in Normal Setting and 7/10 in HD Setting.
7. Battery - M8 Pro can last for 6-7 hrs of continuous operation while M6, at this moment of writing, has been working for 6hrs28min of continuous operation (no free stanby time) and still reporting 20% battery left. Thanks to its 10,000 mah battery. Score 9/10 for M6 and 7/10 for M8 Pro.
That's all I want to share, hope this will be useful for anyone interested in.
13 Aug 13 : I have installed the latest Pipo official firmware 20130731 and it does improve the performance of my m6 (not very much but good enough). Now I can set resolution to 2048x1536 (HD mode) and the m6 works without lag or delay. I have tried 2 games, Subway Surfers and CSR Racing, and both of them run smoothly. No problem in web surfing, page scrolling and pdf reading. I have no idea if this firmware is based on sdk 2.0 or not but I am happy with it. Not sure if this will consume more battery power, will report back if any.
14 Aug 13 : Battery consumption is OK . Eleven hours of continious operation with 22% left, I think that is very good.
16 Aug 13 : As updated on Aug 14, battery life is very good. Although I have been using the m6 for few days in HD mode with good feeling, today I tried setting in Normal mode and found that is hard to tell the difference in web browsing and reading between HD and Normal mode but in gaming I can feel the dfference. Normal mode is better, I can feel that the m6 worked without effort and this setting is still recommended because we get both the performace and nice picture quality at the same time. Finally, I hope Pipo will deliver the optimized firmware in the near future.
26 Aug 13 : Having updated to PiPo latest firmware (20130814), it is slightly smoother than 20130731 when running in HD mode but hard to notice the difference when running in NORMAL mode. It is strange that my M6 freezed for 3 times in 2 days since firmware update and I had to reset it. After uninstalling few chinese apps. my m6 didn't freeze anymore. Now I am happy with my m6 in "normal" setting.